Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Getting over the lost of a pet

In the weeks following Kleo's death I was distraught.  There was an overwhelming feeling that something was missing in my life. Well, surprisingly enough, Hubs found a solution to helping me fill the void. 

Hubs and the girls were out on a mission to get another puppy almost immediately after Kleo passed.  To be polite, I humored their attempts but always gave a "No."  The Saturday before St. Patrick's Day we went to the pet store to pick up a few odds and ends for Kiki and of course we ended up looking at dogs.  A dachshund, scottish terrier and boston terrier to be exact.  All of the dogs were super sweet, but I said "no" to all of them followed by, "I'm just not ready."

St. Patrick's Day Hubs, Monster, and I (Bug was with a friend) made the trip back to the pet store because Hubs "forgot" to pick something up.  While Monster and I were looking at the birds and reptiles Hubs peaked out from a room, smiled, and said, "Ali, come here."  I rolled my eyes and knew what to expect, another puppy.  When I got into the room I saw the boston terrier. 

Monster sat on the floor and played with the boston terrier while quietly watched.  I knew the question was coming, "Mommy, can we get her?" and I was ready to give the "No."  Before Monster could ask Hubs walked by and said, "Monster, how about you come with me and look around so mommy can have some time alone with the puppy?"  Monster exited the room and I was left alone with this pitiful looking boston terrier.  She looked at me, I looked at her, and then she just walked over, crawled up into my lap, nuzzled down, and laid there.  I didn't know what to do, so I cried.  As soon as that darn puppy noticed I was crying she started licking my tears.

Claire Danes' ugly cries are a good representation of how I look when I cry  lol via

During my crying an employee came by

Employee: "Umm, are you okay?"
Me: "Kleo DIIIIEEEDDDDD!!!!!"
Employee: "I heard.  I'm so sorry."
::awkward silence::
Employee: ::walks away quickly::

Hubs walked by second later and looked at me, crying with the puppy in my lap.

Hubs: "Do you want me to ask about her information?"
Me: "I don't knooooowwwww."
Hubs: ::half chuckles:: "I'll be right back."

Monster comes in.

Monster:: "Mommy, why are you crying?"
Me: "I miss Kleo.  What would Kleo say if I got another puppy?"
Monster: "I think Kleo would want you to love another puppy as much as you love her."

That Monster, she's a smart cookie. :) Kleo is the type of doggie that would want me to be happy and show love to another dog.  She wasn't the jealous type.


I'm not sure how it happened but somewhere between my crying and rambling Hubs had gotten the information together and we walked out of the pet store with a new puppy.


This is Azura Kleopatra AKA: Zuri

She has been a blessing to have in our home. She's smart, easy going, and loves to cuddle.  Having Zuri around has eased the pain.  She reminds me so much of Kleo.  I know that she will never replace Kleo and I don't want her to.  I hope that with time Zuri and I will grow to have as great a bond as that Kleo and I had. 

2 comments:

  1. Aw, what a sweet story! I know Zuri can't replace Kleo, but she will bring you new joy and hopefully lots of good memories about Zuri as well. Good luck with the new pup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that Zuri can go a long way to healing the pain that I know you feel over losing Kleo. I know she's not a replacement, but I'm glad you are opening yourself back up. :)

    ReplyDelete